I’ve spoken about feeling unmotivated with blogging and struggling to write in some of my last posts, but that isn’t to say that I didn’t have ideas. The most frustrating thing was that I had all these ideas in my head which I just couldn’t get down on paper. And that’s because of the fantastic day I spent in Leeds last month at icelolly.com‘s Blog At The Beach event.
This summer’s Ibiza themed event took place at Lambert’s Yard in the centre of Leeds, and saw us greeted with sangria. You best know the way to make me happy is give me a drink! We had plenty of time to mingle with faces old and new which is honestly the best thing about blogging for me. Making new and real connections gives me a buzz! Then we were treated to three fantastic talks from three fabulous bloggers!
Hashtag Realness: How To Absolutely Boss Instagram Organically
I can’t even remember when it was that Rhianna and I started talking online but she’s one of my oldest blogging pals. You can see us having a cuddle in Dash’s fab blog post about the event! Aside from this, I’m low-key obsessed with her so I was thrilled to see she’d be speaking about Instagram at Blog at The Beach. Her Instagram grew by about 7,000 followers last year, so she knows a thing or two about growing an audience.
Rhianna’s Top Tips:
- Have a regular posting schedule, but don’t stretch yourself
- Spend time engaging with other users, even if you don’t follow them
- Use all 30 of your lottery tickets (otherwise known as hashtags)
- Keep an eye on analytics either in the business account features, or using UNUM
- Try different things to see what works best for you
You can watch Rhianna’s Blog at The Beach presentation back on her Facebook page.
Fun Creativity Techniques For Busy Bloggers
Jen gave such a different type of talk all about how to let loose with your creativity. Getting us to dance, write poems and come up with ideas for other people was a fantastic way to add an interactive element to her talk.
Jen’s Top Tips:
- Don’t be embarrassed
- Make like a child and do, not think
- Bounce ideas off others
- Keep an inspiration journal
- Don’t be scared to do something new
How To Monetize Your Travel Blog
Now monetizing your blog is a hot topic – especially as talking earning seems to be an oddly taboo subject. Jess took the mantle of offering upfront advice on different methods of monetization that anyone can use. Usually, when people do talk about these methods you end up realising they only work for people with huge followings. Jess covered options that people with a following of pretty much any size can use – and it wasn’t limited to tips about just travel blogs!
Jess’ top tips:
- Approach brands for opportunities – don’t be scared!
- Create a media kit and keep it updated – this will help with approaching brands
- Don’t sell out for opportunities that don’t fit your blog
- Sign up to networks to find opportunities, such as affiliate networks
- Upsell your services – so you’ve landed a sponsored blog post, why not upsell and offer the social media promotion that goes alongside?
Overall some pretty damn useful tips, right? And as if all the fun of the day and all the takeaway knowledge wasn’t enough, the icelolly.com team took us all to The Alchemist for some dreamy cocktails!
What are your top blogging tips?