In honour of turning 23 last week, I am today bestowing upon you all some of the wisdoms I have gained before turning that ripe old age. Before we start, have a picture of me at my first birthday. Cake has clearly always been top of my priorities. This post needed a picture and well.. cake.
1. No matter how well you plan, life can get in the way. You never know what is lying in store for you just around the corner.
2. Sleep is bae.
3. It’s better to love yourself than loathe yourself – but it’s not always easy.
4. A tidy clean house is one of life’s small treasures – and nothing beats slipping into freshly laundered sheets after a long day.
5. Most people are just winging it so stop panicking that you’re the only one who doesn’t have their life together.
6. People you think will have your back might not, but family will always be there.
7. Drinking water does give you all those magical benefits it claims.
8. Eating healthy isn’t hard or expensive – the best friends you can make are your local butchers, grocers and markets.
9. You need to be able to laugh at yourself.
10. You don’t need meat to make a meal.
11. It’s fine to eat that pizza or have that cheat day. Don’t beat yourself up over it.
12. Saving money sucks, but it’s necessary.
13. Common sense is a misnomer. It’s by no means common.
15. Broccoli is god.
16. What you’re waiting for is highly unlikely to drop out of the sky. Get out there and make opportunities for yourself!
17. Drink can be a vice, but your problems are still there in the morning.
18. Having a few close friends you can rely on for anything is much better than a plethora of friends who are nowhere to be seen when you need them.
19. Appreciate those you love. As morbid as it is you could lose them at any minute.
20. Gyms and exercise aren’t evil – it’s about finding what works for you.
21. It’s okay to have down days and to take time for yourself. Never be ashamed to do so. You need to cry? Then cry it out – you’ll feel so much better.
22. Life becomes oh so much easier when you stop giving a damn what others think about you. Remember, those who matter won’t care, and those who care don’t matter.
23. You will start to have those ‘oh my god I sound like my mother/father/grandma‘ moments more, but that’s okay.
What pearls of wisdom would you share with others?